Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Do You Belong in a Zoo?

I arrived at 1.55pm, a whole 5 minutes before 2pm- the pre-ordained time of meeting only to be messaged to say that we were now meeting at 2.30.

I took advantage of the time and went in to the zoo and found something to eat. I thought it odd at the time that meerkat was on the menu, but when in Dublin...

Not waiting for my fellow zoo goers I headed towards the lions. The mum (and perhaps and aunt) were napping in the sun with a youngster. Dad was off on his own looking pretty much dead and there was another little cub doing his own thing too. This cub decided to come and find mum.
Mum!! I'm bored!
I want to play! 
Okay, I'll just sit on you then!
Oh sorry, I didn't see you there!
Hmpff! That didn't go to plan!
Off I toddled and saw some other animals. This little guy with a pink bottom (that kind of looks like the shape of a hand) was just having a bad hair day - he spent most of the time sitting with his back to the crowd.

Simba was enjoying his time off from performing in The Lion King and was just chilling in the grass.

 I found out where I was using the zoo map. I some how don't think this is to scale...

I was pretty excited about seeing the red pandas! Normally these little guys are way too hard to spot at Melbourne Zoo amongst all the foliage. He was just a little bit busy cleaning himself to look up for the camera - next time!

The flamingos were pretty cool - I'm not sure that I've ever seen one before so this was exciting. They did have quite a lot to say - none of which I could understand or interpret...it must have been the Irish accent!

It was feeding time at the sea lions and I managed to get a couple of photos for Bethany who I know was keen to see if we would spot any on this trip.
The heron eagerly awaits left overs.
I watched the Sumatran Tiger prowl up and down his enclosure - much as I had seen his cousin in Melbourne do.

His pals next door the Amur or Siberian Tigers were a little more chilled out. I think he would probably sleep in your lap if you would let him. Although I wouldn't recommend trying that at home.

I wandered over to the penguins and got to watch them being fed. They followed the keeper around - hoping that he had more. One of them refused to leave his side until he showed him the empty bucket.

They were cute little things - bigger than our Fairy Penguins at home. They were having some competition from the Herons who were ever present waiting to scavenge for any fishy leftovers.

Its my fish!
No! Its my fish!
Don't make me fight you! I know the ancient art of ka-ra-tay!
That's right - go home - no fish for you!

Finally my fellow zoo companions caught up with me and we headed off to the African Plains. Here we passed by grevillea, several types of wattle, westringia and even dietes grandiflora plants, all of which are Australian natives but must do better in the Irish climate than plants indigenous to Africa and its plains.

We came across zebras, rhinos, hippos, ostriches and my favourites, the giraffes. They are so awkward looking yet beautifully graceful at the same time - a bit like me!

Next were the gorillas and they were all inside their fun house out of the cold. 
Dum de dum do dum...I think I'll have something to eat. I wonder what I can find over there.
Carrots and some other vegetable... Carrots will do.
I think I'll sit up here and watch the chef prepare our food in the kitchen.
Who does she think she is - I'm the King of the World!! 
I'm behind you...
I'll take that as my queue to exit stage right!
Do you think he knows I'm here? Perhaps if I do a King Kong impersonation he may take notice?
I couldn't really be bothered - I'll just sit here and stare at him for a bit.
It's a beautiful zoo and well worth a visit if you're in the Dublin area. We even saw a very rare sighting....A heard of Irish elephants, shhh the scare easily.

Tomorrow we're off to Moville, Donegal. I'm very much looking forward to the country air. I'm unsure of the wifi, internet connectivity so if there are no blog posts for a few days, don't stress.









No comments:

Post a Comment